Later on in life, by God’s grace, it dawned on me that reading my Bible everyday should be far more than an item on my personal goal list, but a joy and a life-long need. I’m not doing God a favor or earning brownie points with him…it’s more like God’s grace covers me (so I don’t feel devastated if I miss a day) and I get to hear Him speak to me through His word. Praise God for illumination!
So this year I am excited about what God might teach me through my devotions. I am reading through the Bible and I have chosen a plan that I think will match my personality and meet my needs. But to tell the truth, making this decision took me a while because I strongly dislike Bible plans for the following reasons:
1. You usually have to read a lot from several parts of Scripture. I get so lost and so frustrated because I don’t get anything and nothing stays with me.
2. I pay a lot of attention to details. That’s the way I’ve been wired. And while it is a blessing, it can also be frustrating because you just can’t study a book or a story when you have so much reading to do.
3. If you fall behind the plan, you feel bad. (well, at least I do)
4. Sometimes reading plans may become part of your checklist in your legalistic mind. “I read all my assigned parts today. I feel good. God must be happy. CHECK”
But this year I decided I would give it a try because I have never read the whole Bible consecutively. I think I’ve read and studied most of its books, but I haven’t read the Bible from cover to cover. This year I want to have a better overview of God’s redemptive story. So I’ve decided I would read the Bible in 2 years. And I’m LOVING this plan because…
1. I don’t have to read a whole awful lot. The divisions they’ve made are more like episodes rather than strict chapter divisions.
2. Since I don’t have to read a lot every day, I can always have some time for studying! 🙂
3. If I fall behind, there are always “catch up” days 😉
4. I am enjoying learning about God so much that…how could this be a legalistic thing? (well, in many ways but we won’t go into that now…)
So you can look forward to some posts related to what I’m reading/studying. I am so enthusiastic about a God who is totally intentional, purposeful, true, faithful, and full of grace! YEAH!